Thursday, October 13, 2005

Nerds Rule

Kew gardens is amazingly beautiful. The plants, the glass sculptures, the serenity, and the breathtaking buildings.

Well I thought they were breathtaking, but my two female chums seemed to be too busy nattering to notice! Yes, ok, ok they were old friends and hadn't seen each other for five years but still, I mean, come on! There's a time and place! For goodness sake!

Obviously I felt the need to share my world with them.

"Do you know something interesting about this building?" I said in the Temperate House.

"Err go on" they replied with that tolerant smile normally reserved for a small child clutching a sticky painting.

"This building was the first major building ever to use wrought iron. If they'd used cast iron there would've been too many columns to make the space inside usable!" I grinned.

"Ah, righto" they said.

"Discovery channel", I said, "It's really cool."

"You have far too much time on your hands."

Hmmm, my quest to impress seemed to have failed...

But they'd missed the point completely: the Temperate House is glorious, but utterly, utterly impossible without nerds!

Yup, Sydney Opera House, Eiffel Tower, Fourth Suspension Bridge, Kew Temperate House, the Superdome... the list is endless, and all glorious buildings that could only be built because some nerd somewhere thought to themselves "I wonder if I can make metal stronger?"

Nerds like totally rock, dude.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home